View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Your first statement copied specifically says...

I disagreed inferring that an F150 can indeed tow just fine. Your reply adding some random weight which leads me to believe you automatically assume the only RV's being purchased are these giant 40' fifth wheel toy hauler triple axle 15000# monstrosities! There are PLENTY of RV's that fit well within the capabilities of any half ton truck! In FACT if you go to any of the local RV dealerships near where I live the only units on the lot are the small "tear drop" type trailers or those giant monstrosities. Anything small to mid size well within the capability of a half ton is sold out!

You can live in a bubble and over pay or buy more than you need as a tow vehicle that's fine by me, your just costing yourself money or planning on buying a larger trailer down the road. For the record I have a 20' bumper pull that I tow without ANY issues in the mountains behind my lowly F150. Trailer weighs in empty around 3000#, add in all the stuff we haul with us when we go camping, my wife, dog, fuel, firewood etc... and we are easily over 5000#. From your response I guess you would think it's "unsafe" "dangerous" and "outside of the trucks capabilities" to do so, but pulling any number of mountain passes up to 9000', hauling 70mph down the interstate has never remotely felt outside of it's capabilities. I stop just fine and rarely experience the "tail wagging the dog" effect of a crosswind.

Had you ended your initial statement of finding the trailer first then find the right tow vehicle I would have had no issue with your statement. It obviously makes sense as everything's capabilities vary. You add in an assinine comment like a half ton isn't a tow vehicle and your credibility crashes to the ground. No a half ton is not the right vehicle to tow that 40' fifth wheel, but it can tow a 5000# bumper pull just fine.

To the RP, I would look online and find out what features/lay outs fits your family. Then I would hold off a little while as there will be a bumper crop of RV's for sale due to all this covid hysteria. A lot of people purchased them, will use them a couple times, realize the maintenance involved and storing them etc... and be looking to sell lightly used practically new units for dirt cheap. I didn't catch the size you would be looking at, but don't listen to the advice a half ton can't tow anything. If you have a tow vehicle already, find out it's capabilities and stay near 75-80% of the max capability and you should have no issues.

I would comment on your assinine comment but I would get banned...some however seem to be able to hurl insults with immunity......I have no Idea what the OP is buying for a trailer...so my original post still stands, buy the trailer then the truck...FYI there is a lot of calculators out there to figure out...WHY I made my original statement...but salavee.....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.