View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Ok another way to look at it....

My rifle barrels are proofed to 100,000 psi BUT are rated for 60- 70 thousand PSI. Wonder why that is?

JUST because the salesman tells me the breaking strength of my pickup's axle is 11,000 Lbs. doesn't mean I should load my truck up to the max load weight and cruise down the highway "cause my truck will pull it with ease".

There is a reason barrels are tested to there burst strength then loads are reduced 40% or so...trucks axles are no different.

There is also a reason most 1/2 ton trucks don't have extendable mirrors on them...So you can't see the tail of the dog, wagging your truck. Or looking like you just came back from "broke back mountain" with your rear bumper scrapping the pavement.

But you do as you like...
Except there's a hole in your theory.. the trucks tow rating is what the manufacturer sets it at, it is far from what they "test" it at.

And every 1/2 ton has extendable Mirrors as an option.

I get what you are saying but comparisons and "points" aren't correct. There's definitely that safety margin everyone needs to determine on their own as long as it meets the rest of the capacities.