View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 02:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
The whole idea is to monitor amount of use and watch the wear parts, and replace and adjust them before they break; for any mechanical system. Wear parts are designed to wear, and need replacement or adjustment before they fall apart. Hopefully you can find good aftermarket stuff too, which is better than factory stock parts, and has better tolerances and longer life. Keep it healthy and you won't have junk.

Cam phasors adjust the timing of valves based on solenoid-actuated hydraulic control. So all the hydraulic components (i.e. motor oil) of that system have to be pristine. VCT solenoids need to be replaced once in a while. Phasers themselves not so much; although you can always push anything until it breaks. Left and right-bank camshaft position sensors have to be in good shape too. The sensor plugs stick way out of the front of the engine and little wires going to them can easily be torn & broken. Best to clean everything up first and run it for a few weeks to see how much the engine smooths out.

If you have a 5.4 which really has been run hard and put away wet, then you can get replacement kits from Rock Auto or Ford which can replace the wear parts behind the front engine plate and in the heads. That includes cam followers, lash adjusters, and phasors; and timing chains, chain tensioners, upgraded oil pump, and other related bits. If you're pulling the front plate and the head covers, that should all be done as one job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQVKnd2r-ww

Awesome...... I think?

I'm just a dumb construction guy, if I can't fix it with a hammer, a welder, or a pair of pliers, I gotta let someone else deal with it. Small thing like oil changes or ball joints, no problem, but if it requires anything where I have to start taking pictures so I can put it back together, at that point it becomes non-cost effective.