View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 11:35 AM

Default Nora’s Liver & Potato Casserole

My mother first made this delicious casserole for me over 40 years ago. I think she said she got the recipe off a Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup can in the 60’s but never wrote it down so the exact ingredients and quantities are lost to time. I made it using moose & deer liver 25 years ago and it was as equally delicious as the beef she had used. An extensive search of the internet for “liver & potato casserole” turned up nothing so I’ll try and fumble through the basic gist of the recipe as I remember it and I’m sure better cooks than me in the group can figure out the particulars themselves.

1. Venison Liver
2. Potatoes
3. Onions
4. Cream of Mushroom Soup
5. Beef broth or Bovril
6. Bacon fat
7. Flour
8. Pepper
9. Salt

Bite size pieces of liver are dusted in flour and fried in bacon fat till they are browned on all sides. Cut potatoes into bite size chunks and slice the onions. Butter the inside of a casserole dish. Place a layer of liver on the bottom of the dish followed by a layer of sliced onion and then the potatoes. Then spoon a generous layer of Cream of Mushroom Soup over top of the three layers. If you don’t use enough soup the casserole will be too dry. Keep repeating the layers until the dish is full. Pepper and salt are the only seasoning she used. I think she used OXO cubes back in those days but today you would pour in just enough Bovril or beef broth to give the dish some flavour/moisture. You want the creamy mushroom soup/broth mixture thick enough to stick to the liver and potatoes when you eat them. I’m not sure about temp and time but perhaps try 350 degrees for an hour then check to see if the potatoes are cooked through.