View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 02:08 AM

What a mess...

I'm originally from Nova Scotia and still have old friends running lobster boats down there. This is the 'Cole's Notes' to the best of my knowledge, although I'm certain some can/will correct me.

After the disaster of the cod fishery, many lessons were learned. These lessons were applied to the lobster fishery. Many sacrifices were made, tons of work/science and it's been a tremendous success. It took decades though.

In fact, these days, the resource is healthier than it's been in generations.

To Nova Scotia, one must realize that the lobster fishery is statistically equal or more vital to that province's economy than oil and gas is to Alberta's.

To become a lobster fisherman, a quota purchase averages around $800,000. This may or may not include boat/gear depending on the area/license. The boat and gear if done properly could be an additional $1 million..

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) under Trudeau has spent $545 million purchasing licences, boats and gear, then GIVING it to the Mi'kmaw for free who have next to zero history of traditionally harvesting this resource.

There is no definition of what a 'moderate livelihood' is. There are no regulations in terms of harvest quota, seaons, or respect of area closures.

NONE!!!

See why there's protest now? Wouldn't you?

The FN have seen what has happened on the west coast and are simply trying to cash in. The lieberal conundrum is that both sides voted for them and keeping Atlantic Canada on the traditional government teat only works to their advantage, thus they are doing their best to ignore the issue and leave it in the hands of the incompetent rcmp.

Trudeau has emboldended FN with his viture signaling and created this huge mess. People are going to get killed. It seems that's what liberals do these days. Divide and conqure...

Tree

Last edited by TreeGuy; 10-20-2020 at 02:15 AM.