View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 08:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
In a nutshell.

Supreme Court in 1999 said FN could fish for a moderate living. Federal government has failed to define moderate living.

Heard area businesses refuse to deal with FN fishers.

FN are fishing during season spawning closure.

FN want to fish and sell lobster.
Commercial fishers want reasonable boundaries and fair sharing of the resource.
Commercial fishers want conservation measures followed by all versus a free for all.

My take.
That's what I heard.

On the way home this evening I listened to a CBC interview with the federal minister in charge of the situation.

The reporter asked several good questions, and got zero answers.

One question was, why has the federal government not set limits or seasons for the FN fishery. His answer, everyone has to abide by the set seasons and limits", which the reporter pointed out was not the case for FN fishermen.
To which the minister replied, "Right now we need to ensure they can fish in safety.

I suspect that the real issue is that the feds have left the warring parties to work this out between them.

Once again the government claims to stand for native rights but does nothing to provide, define or enforce them, either for the benefit of natives or for those who loose because of rights were given but not defined.

It was double speak at it's finest.

If that is what is happening in this situation I can not say. I only know what was done to my neighbors. residential schools are only part of that story.

George Bernard Shaw