View Single Post
Old 02-12-2024, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Actually the provinces should quit gouging for non resident Canadian licenses, tags and charging royalties for harvested game.

I've hunter hosted Alberta residents and it's criminal what they get charged for a few days of hunting, the way our system is set up you'd think they were wealthy foreigners.

It would make more sense to limit the number of days per season that could be hunted like they do with fishing licenses. Sell non residents a license and 7 day tags.
Talking residency requirements not host program. Alberta is not like B.C. you can buy a resident hunting license the first day you move to Alberta no wait periods minimal proof of residency. Because of this there is there is many who abuse this and hunter under a resident hunting license when actually living elsewhere. There is also a lack of communication between provinces so people are holding resident license in more than one province

As for non resident hunting in Alberta our province gives far more opportunities than most other provinces. The cost is affordable and the host program is really easy to use. Unfortunately non residents can also apply for draws in Alberta and actually compete with residents in the same draw pool.

I think Alberta is beyond far to non residents and if anything non residents should be removed from the resident draw pool. Either offer a small number of tags to non residents for draw or keep non residents to animals available on general tag only. I host family from B.C. every year for whitetail and know the system well

Why should Alberta even consider increasing non resident opportunities when every other province keeps limiting non resident opportunities. B.C. is a joke in comparison for both cost, process, and hunt options available under its host program. I know this system well too and B.C. offers very little to non residents in comparison. Sask has made non resident hunting tougher too

You want open non resident opportunities in all provinces start pushing for your province to at least match Alberta’s host program for starters. At this moment Alberta should cut back on non resident opportunities because we sure don’t have other provinces returning the favor

So as of recent I can’t hunt moose, caribou, and sheep that are not on draw in B.C.. Can’t apply for draws in BC. Even the species that can be hunted under the host program a portion of MU’s with GOS are not an option. You get hit with a trophy fee when you take an animal in BC.

Sorry I have no interest in supporting increasing non resident opportunities in Alberta when ever other province keeps tightening up