View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 08:50 AM
AO Sponsor

The answer for rats is them Hagz or Sudden Valley brackets and fiberglass poles. If you put them in the right places, no need for any other equipment.

But the mud bottom must not be froze is the only criteria.

My best is 138 rats in about 8 hours of trap checking, all on fiberglass poles w Sudden Valley brackets. That's all the traps/poles I had in my possession. If I would have had more gear I am certain I would have got to 200 rats in a day. My 130+ rat day run lasted 3 or 4 days. Lotsa fun!

Phil Brown, the PA fox king of the world, put me onto the poles when I ran into him at a May NAFA sale in Toronto, years ago when rats had crept up to $10 average. He would drive up to North Dakota to trap rats every spring when the rat prices were up. I believe his best day was 240, all on fiberglass poles.

Lightweight, minimal gear helps the trapper to move fast, maximum efficiency. Subs are awesome but trapper has to spend time finding the runs. When right beside the truck and known runs, subs are unbeatable, but the rest of the time while one guy is slogging around searching for runs, the fiberglass pole trapper is flying.