View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I don't think anyone would argue you will see a difference, but for shooting up to 400yds. (the OP) you will not see enough of a difference by jumping to a scope in the 1000+range to justify the 2,3 or 4 times the cost.
My 130 grain Hornady American Whitetail in 270 calibre drops 19.3 inches at 400 yards. Average Whitetail brisket being 17 to 18 inches tall. I'm sorry but I can't see most people holding a whole brisket height high above the vitals with an incredible amount of success. And I've seen a lot of different people shoot to varying degrees out to 200, 300 yards. Taking a flyer 8 or 9 inches above the back of a Whitetail deer at 400 yards would be a very low probability shot in my opinion. I could see a fixed retical out to 300 yards where the OP has an argument. But 400 yards plus is a different ball game. For a mere $600 extra, the retical that I bought (rapid z-conquest) takes all the guesswork out of elevation estimating. Hold on fur and fire. Same with ballistic matching turrets. It's a huge difference in accuracy. I will gladly pay 50-70% more for no guesswork. Bonus is you typically get better construction and better glass by doing so. That's three major positives to dig a little deeper into the Wallet for a better scope