View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 PM

Default Whitefish hook sets...

I headed out to a lake today to try my hand at some lake whites. Was probably the most action I’ve seen in many many years. I had to have seen 40 whites and had a great deal of them showing significant interest in my wire worm. Lots of little bumps, pushing the hook in front of them etc.

Still, I had many of them taking the hook fairly aggressively. There were close to 10 times they’d come up, open their mouth, suck the lure in, is set the hook and end up with nothing. Not even hooked... One of the two I did land did this 4 times before I finally got a hook set. The third attempt actually changed the worm from sitting horizontal to hanging vertical. He came back immediately and hit it again even with the hook hanging vertically. That time I hooked him.

So, question time. What is going on??? Lots of bites but I couldn’t get a hookup to save my life. It seemed like it was setting the hook too early maybe, but it was DEFINITELY in their mouth when I set the hook... I have two thoughts. Either I’m setting it too early or too hard.

Thoughts?