View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 04:09 PM

Hunted Daysland yesterday with my Brittany and a couple friends. We managed to flush a couple and shot one on the way out about 100 yards from the truck.

Earlier in the day in the middle of an open field the dog went on point. My buddy got ready and I pushed through a small section of taller grass... and nothing. Went through it again, still nothing. Dog was still on point giving me a look like "c'mon already, do I have to go in and get it for you?" Went through it again and still nothing. Then we found it - a dead pheasant 10 feet beyond the taller grass. "Good point girl" I told the dog, "but we'd prefer live ones next time." She wagged her tail, sniffed the dead pheasant and and ran off.

It wasn't too busy for a Saturday. There were 3 trucks parked on the east side and one of them left just as we were heading in around 10:30. I think he said he flushed 4 birds but they were all runners and he didn't want to ground swat them. We hunted til about 2:00 and heard about a dozen shots all day.