View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 07:41 PM

It's fun following along with this thread, kind of off track at times thanks to me for offering the lighter side of stuff you know.

Its awesome that the next generation of firearms are in the market place,,, this means that our old irons will climb in value as they become collector items. Ha

Who though a refurbished WW II M-1 Grand would fetch $5 to 7 G these days,,, a Winchester octagon barrel 30-30 lever action would top that price tag at $10 G.

The world will continue to come out with the latest and greatest for years to come,,, my older friends would like nothing more than to give this stuff a go,,, but there are 2 many factors that prevent this from happening.

Just relax I share with him,,, look at all the old battle scares of the beautiful wood on your stock,,, see that nick in the barrel,,, I remember you telling me about the story when you darn near slipped over the ice edge sheep hunting in 1977,,, I think you slammed that rifle down hard that prevented you from going over that drop off... Mr G were luck that day.

Look at Fred's old unit,,, 100+ years of hunting in that rifle,,, and it's still on the go with his grandson behind the controls,,, maybe the day will come when he buys a new gun as he gives that diamond of a rifle to his son or daughter,,, what a gem it is.

My close friend Terry is humbled to hold possession of my 300 Mag,,, its in some might fine hands,,, kinda like Todd who still uses my old 7x57,,, Stan bought the other one,,, boy,,, those were 2 good shooters.

My hunting partner is still on track with his Remmy Semi auto,,, man,,, has that rifle harvested alot of game beginning in 1967 or was that 69,,, Hummmmm,,, time has slipped me by I guess. Ha

Yuppers, lots to dream about when it comes to the new stuff,,, but it fades away once I head down the cut line with old Bettzy,,, she's pretty accurate for a 30 cal,,, nothing special,,, but it gets the job done.

I was pretty happy on a few of the sight-ins up North this year,,, Ha. The kids must think I shoot way to much,,, that's what its all about I yell at them,,, put in your ear plugs,,, its shooting time.

I could see Carl grin from ear to ear,,, he knew what I was talking about,,, his old weathered hands fit his irons like a glove. He knows this,,, who in Alberta has their name on the Queen's Plate 2 X's,,, and placed 200th in the world's.

Yes,,, hands that aren't as steady as they once were,,, but his eyes still hold the key.

Funny that Carl and Vick both shot fixed up old Lee Enfields custom in the 308 NATO rounds,,, both of them worked free hand with peep hole sights for all those years,,, Ha,,, Cat knows what I'm talking about.

Marksmen with 1/2 if not a 1/3 of what we have today,,, those fellows could shoot the ever changing winds like it was nothing. They are part of the Elite few who could get things done in their day.

Then top it off with some spectacular hunting stories with all to share in.

Both Carl and Vick have covered more ground then I will live to see,,, hopefully the Supreme Bean allows me to at least catch up. Ha.

I guess there's something to be said about all the rifles and cartrages each of us own, they might not be the latest and greatest, maybe they aren't the shinny pony of National match or the world's little lone the state champion units,,,, whoops,,, I mean Provincial.

They are the guns we own,,, they fill our needs, yes,,, we have to put more effort into them then the new stuff,,, but thats part of the fun.

Either change things up, or leave well enough alone,,, at least well enough alone won't cost us a lot money.

I like what I have Carl,,, I know deep down inside that you have a cabinet of irons you will not part with,,, good on you for staying the course.

Yuppers, my good life long friend will rest easy tonight with memories of 80+ years in the competion and Harvesting fields all done with irons that still stand the proven test of time.

Kinda like me i guess,,, to stubborn to change, not wize enough to do it either. Oh well,,, purhaps I get to be my own living Legend in my dreams tonight as I sleep.

Old school 30 cal to hand down to the next generation of brothers and sisters when that time comes,,, very humbling indeed you would think.

By the way, did I mention that I like everything that has something to do with the great outdoors, it's nice to take it on now since the time will come when it becomes more challanging to do this stuff,,, I hope TV is around when I hang up the irons.

Ha