View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Im no biologist but I do know that every velvet buck I’ve seen had white antlers under the velvet. I shot a muley with bone white antlers while half covered in velvet as well.
That particular buck, the dark one, I know for a fact was rubbing quite a bit. I picked his track up in the morning, I followed it down an old skidder trail through some checkerboard cuts. Whenever he came to the bush checker he would make a loop off the trail and make a few rubs, then return to the trail and go to the next one.

Once I figured that out I quit following his loops and just stayed on the trail, eventually I hit a chunk of trees where his tracks did not return so I just sat down and waited. Eventually I saw a sapling start waving... and shot him while he was making yet another rub.

I can only speculate as to what he'd been doing the whole rest of the season, but that buck for sure made well over a dozen rubs before noon on the day I shot him.