View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I think this is exactly why they’re light colored. Bush bucks have chocolate colored racks because they only come out in the open at night and on a rare occasion during daylight when the rut is in full swing.
I dunno about this one. I shot a buck the first week of September in 542, the earlyest I've ever killed a buck, and his antlers were bone white. People actually thought I cut them off of a deer that I found dead, and I was accused of lying about actually shooting that deer.

3 years later I shot one right on the tail end of the last week of November, one of the latest deer I've killed, less than a kilometer from where I took the light one... darkest antlers I have in the shed, almost black.

I've been convinced ever since that the antlers must pick up some color from rubbing, possible the type of trees they are rubbing would be a contributing factor as well.

Only complaint I have about southern deer is that they generally dont seem to have the same body mass as a northern one. On my stomping grounds you can shoot a 130" buck that will dress out at 200 lbs or better. Seen some impressive headgear from further south that was sitting on top of far smaller deer.