View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 06:14 PM

Default I too have returned to the 3006

I received a HVA 1640 from Tradeex last week. I took it to the range with a box of federal 150 gr 3006 ammo, to set my scope and check it for accuracy. The best group I got was 1.5 in. @100M. But I found the trigger pull was horrendous. I checked the pull at home on an electronic fish scale (not that accurate but sufficient to give me an idea) and it read between 5 and 6 lbs. I then polished the sear and the cocking piece with 400 and 600 grit paper, then lubricated it with graphite and teflon lube. This brought the trigger pull down to between 4 and 5 lbs. I then removed the trigger spring and replaced it with a spring from a pen. My trigger pull was now between 1 and 2 pounds. I found another pen spring which slipped inside the first pen spring, to bring the pull up to between 2 and 3 lbs. I will be looking for something better than pen springs, but this gives me something to test for better groups at the range.
I took the gun to the range today and shot some 1" groups. My velocity ran between 3000 and 3100fps with 150gr bullets and Varget powder. This is 300H&H velocities but then the Huskies have a 1 in 12" twist which I think speeds it up in the barrel.