View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
What speed does your crossbow shoot at? I used a Horton hawk compound crossbow in Ontario. Shot about 250 fps off the string (chronograph) and at 40 yards I was always worried about the deer jumping my arrow, the guys I hunted with used compound bows exclusively and each had deer jump their arrows.

So just because I could shoot comfortably out to 50-60 yards, my longest shot ended up only being 28 yards although I would shoot about 40 at a deer. The deer in southern Ontario are also a lot jumper than the deer in Alberta I have noticed.

What would be your max comfort shot with your Excalibur?

Not trying to open a can of worms or anything, It is definitely a better crossbow than I was using haha.

325......it's on the scope dial. I lived in ON most of my life, always used a compound there......only because I did not own a crossbow. I don't worry about deer "jumping-the-string". Never had it happen to me. A feeding, walking deer that has no reason to be alert is not likely to "jump-the-string".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Good shooting!

I'm assuming there was little to no wind?

A wind gust would have quite an effect on a bolt or arrow that travels for a second in the air on the way to the target.

I've shot my Excal Phoenix at 75 yards, off a rest, and wasn't quite that accurate (pie plate grouping), but then it was a bit windy with gusts up to 15 k or so across the range.

At the same time there was a guy shooting a compound at the same range, a 'friendly' spontaneous competition, and he did a bit better than me at the same range. His arrows traveled slightly faster than mine though.
Wind quartering left to right no more than a few mph. The thing that I though that affected accuracy more than anything else is the trigger. It's ugly........needs a trigger job for sure. Compound bow and crossbow, both shot offhand, the compound will always win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Too bad you could not sand bag the compound bow also, would have had better results...steadier rest. Shoot the same scenario with the cross bow "free hand" at 60 and bet your groups open up as per your "wet" flyer...

Great pics and it looks like you had fun, better than work!
I detect your sarcasm. A crossbow can be sand-bag'd.....that is a good thing. As I said above. Competing against a compound, a crossbow shot offhand is not going to win. A compound will out perform rifle shooters shooting off hand as well. I shoot bench rest, bipod, tripod, off my pack when shooting a rifle. Whatever I can do to increase accuracy I will take that advantage. Who doesn't. It just can't be done with a regular bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
It's all good info, let us know how the 100 yrd on game shots go when u get a chance.

You know that time of flight thing with the super noisy crossbow thing.

Guys shoot tight groups at 1000 yards and further on paper with centerfire rifles too but so many have learned those time of flight on game plus the other variables of long distance shooting lessons, and many long range shooters have drastically shorter self imposed ranges for hunting as many would say "effective range".

100 yards with cross or compound is plenty doable but long range for both so only for the right hands and conditions and definitely not for majority, and when I researched this for the last epic crossbow thread on here I found more kills over 100 yards by compound guys than crossbow guys. The compounds longer arrows retain energy further than crossbows plus quieter launches likely help a bit too.

Sure likely easier to get more consistent groups with a crossbow but not hard for guys to stay in the ole paper plate to 100 and beyond with compounds and getting a pin set for 100 isn't hard, arrows alway go where pin was when string drops so not really an accuracy matter...it's the other variables that are the issue when shooting long with these bows on game. And seeing as how harvest stats percentages tend to mirror compounds wherever they run together it's pretty hard to argue the added effectiveness the crossbow "apparently" has.

Effective bow ranges will be 60 or less for majority of users, compounds or crossbows, fact. Both guns and bows same thing, practice far on paper etc. But on game, always shorter effective ranges for majority of users. The r both slow speed weapons in grand scheme, limiting factors r not accuracy related but velocity rated...they r bows.
I can't get a pin for 100 yards on my compound, I hold my bow high and anchor high, resulting in the pins taking up the lower half of my sight window. I might get a pin down far enough to let me shoot 75 yards? Guys that can shoot a 9 inch paper plate consistently at 100 yards with a compound are 1/1000. Guys that can shoot 100 yards into a paper plate consistenly with a crossbow 900/1000 (with my crossbow).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
If I'm gonna lob some arrows at 100.... I'll take the versaility of the compound over the crossbow as something tells me quick follow up shots might come in handy here lol. Have fun reloading that crossbow to try end end something u maybe shouldnt have shot at in first place.

Don't worry chef, get the full understanding of the tool and fear not....it's a bow.
Follow up shots with a crossbow.............not required
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnafterwork View Post

I do agree you should be doing some standing shots or kneeling as not everyone will have a perfect rest setup..
Sure. But here is the thing. If you put yourself into a position, say a blind or stand, that only gives you a 30 yard shot, you don't wory about shooting offhand. Now if you intentionally put yourself into a position where you could shoot 100 yards, you should have thought about bringing a rest of some type. I always pack something to use when I rifle hunt........even if it is just the pack on my back, I will use it.......it's only logical.