View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I did on mine both and compared... It is accurate, but again there are a lot of variables one can't account for. Weight being towed, shape of trailer (land sail versus open steel car trailer), headwind versus no headwind (mentioned), driving style (faster drivers versus slower drivers, frequent on the gas on the brakes versus consistent tow speed, etc), vehicle modifications (my dead stock truck with very light standard load 18 inch tires versus your lifted truck with possibly heavier larger wheels and tires, etc etc...

I do agree with you on what you are saying, but I also agree with what others (and myself) are saying. Like everything, the "it depends" statement is always a consideration.
Yeah that's my point....the baby Duramax doesn't like any variables. If you run it on the light factory equipped tires and don't push it, you'll get some great numbers. But as soon as you put the spurs to it you'll go through diesel in a hurry and DEF even worse (DEF consumption is a known issue with this motor...and ever other modern diesel )

My truck is only two inches taller than a TrailBoss/AT4, I shopped diligently for my tires before selecting Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 275/60R20 tires at only 47lbs each (2/3's of my mileage is on Blizzaks that are even closer to factory weights), and most of my towing was at 5kph below the speed limit on remote roads in the winter, but also routinely in -30 temps as the unit was more or less purpose-bought to haul my ice fishing kit around in the winter. So I think I did my due diligence when I bought and equipped my truck expecting to get great fuel economy. The truck let me down severely in that regard, so I don't mind being the voice of negativity while others gush...I have 46,000km of experience using it as a truck and it couldn't hack it IMO. So I said $%^& it, bought the baddest HD truck on the market currently, stuffed a 60 gallon S&B tank under it so I could drive from Grande Prairie all the way to Flin Flon on a tank, and didn't look back. I'll buy a GM HD if they bring out the rumored 8.3l Duramax, but no more half-tons for me.