View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 02:32 PM

I have had 4 labs now 2 black, a yellow, and a chocolate. I buy first for pet/family member, second for hunting. All of them hunted well with minimal training for our hunting style. Teach them to retrieve properly as a pup, basic commands and take em out hunting, they all seemed to get it figured out and all absolutely loved to go out chasing birds. The one we have now i bought for his fathers temperment and comes from an english style show lab. He is a pleasure to hunt behind and is awesome in the house, very quiet, good with kids, as are most labs. My son has a silver from smoking gun and she seemed to pick up the hunting and retrieving quicker, even at 8 months old she was bringing birds back to hand. She is an awesome dog. I would highly recommend one of their pups, any color. Color does not matter to me, heck I had a friend with a lab/sheppard mix that we hunted with and did just fine. If I was into field trials and that sort of thing I would definately go with a breeder that specialized in them and spend the money on training. I know very little about how to properly train a hunting dog, but what I do know seems to work for me. I have hunted with guys that have had the whistle and hand signal trained dogs that were fun to hunt with also. The only advantage seemed to be locating downed birds quicker when they don't see them drop, with my dogs I just have to give them time and they will find it eventually. Good Luck in your search