View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Nope. Last time I checked, no one gets out alive anyway so I'm not going to stop hunting. It's also worth remembering that prion disease has been present in the U.K. for a long time (might explain a few things) as well as Colorado for many years now, and we haven't seen a massive die off of hunters. Take some precautions, have your animal tested, and enjoy the hunt.

My method: use elbow length gloves to gut. deer goes in a high sided plastic sled, is skinned and butchered on a plastic sheet-covered piece of plywood. Plastic, paper towels, gloves, knives and tools are double bagged and quarantined in the freezer with the meat. The freezer would be fine. All the other stuff can be handed over to F&W as contaminated material. It's not a big deal as long as you think your way through.
Fair point, nobody gets out alive, but certainly nobody wants to see their family afflicted by it. I heading to wainwright this week and this thread has given me much to consider. I was rather lax in my concern, as i think i read somewhere that you have to pretty much eat infected deer daily for months in order to get infected and somehow just ignored the 5 second rule. Excuse me while I go play in traffic...

I will likely be bio-hazarding everything for the hunt.