View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
That's a great haul. I've gone a week now with no action at a bait set. Ravens but no dogs. Lots of bait. Just hauled out another roadkill today so hopefully next check. What's a typical number at one bait location? I'm 1 mile into the bush and only caught 8 there so far. Not sure if I should set up another bait station elsewhere?
Once my bait sites slow down I start a new one somewhere else. I figure that if the coyotes aren't coming to the bait, it's best to take the bait to them. My first two sites this season are like that now. Since the snow there hasn't been a single track anywhere. One site only produced 6 coyotes but the other one produced about 15. Typically I find that things slow down after trapping the 7 or 8 locals but that's obviously not always the case.

I would walk the perimeter about 50 yards back around the bait site and check for tracks and set snares on sign. Sometimes they'll come in to investigate but will hang back and not commit to coming into the bait. I'd leave my snares up but stop adding bait and I'd start a new bait site somewhere else. With a roadkill I'd hang snares right away instead of pre-baiting because they'll devour that deer (?) in one night.

Don't forget about blind sets. With this fresh snow you can find trails that are frequently traveled and check your snares on the way to your bait site. I picked up two from four snares like that yesterday. I hope that this helps.