View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 07:25 PM

We saw this one and his does, just before 9am, and I grabbed the trigger sticks and my rifle and led the boys on an intercept course. I peaked over the first hill, and the had moved to the next hill and were walking down parallel to us. We dropped below the crest and raced to the next peak a couple of hundred yards away, and peaked over the top to see them standing on the side of the hill looking at us, I set up the trigger sticks , ranged the buck at just under 300 yards and told my buddy to set up his rifle and shoot. He was breathing too hard and couldn't get steady, so he directed me to take the shot. I asked the other fellow to come up and use my rifle, but he said that he was too out of breath as well. I set up on the sticks, placed the crosshairs on the buck as he turned quartering to me, as if to leave, so I squeezed the trigger and he dropped at the shot. He isn't huge, but he was by far the largest buck that we saw. He taped out at 71 inches.

We gutted the buck and carried on looking for another one. We came upon two smaller bucks,so I asked the boys if they were interested in them. One fellow replied that he would try if we could get close enough. I drove behind the hill, and we climbed the hill and peaked over the top. I ranged the bucks at around 250 yards, so I set up the sticks, and told him where to aim. At the shot, the buck spun around and fell over. We walked down and gutted the buck, and another group of pronghorns appeared about 400 yards away. I saw two bucks that were not big, but were not all that bad, so I asked if the other friend wanted it. The two decided that two bucks was good enough , and we headed for home.

We also managed to see this fellow yesterday, which was a new experience for my friends.