View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 10:21 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I've never taken a picture of a wild or farmed animal that I've killed. I keep my memories in my head and most of them are of the exquisite meals that I prepare.
I only kill what is edible and I empathize with every creature that I consume. However, I feel no remorse as nature is cruel and I'm simply doing my best to be a part of it.
I go out of my way to ensure that no unnecessary suffering is imparted on the critter in the process, be it by cutting the throat on a pig, putting an extra round into a deers' head or bonking a fish. Hunting/butchering is but a satellite hobby to my gastronomic propensity.
I’m with you, I’ve never taken a picture of an animal I’ve killed. I don’t see the need. With my job I kill way more animals than I would have ever thought and take no joy in it. (Most are injured some how etc...) if I sit and dwell on what all hunting includes I get kind of depressed at the killing part. However During the hunt with an animal in front of me I’ve only ever let one go, a small forkhorn buck. Figured I’d let him grow up a little. I also wouldn’t shoot a doe or cow with young of the year etc... so to the OP your normal. I talk with hundreds of hunters every season while out checking licenses and the number of old timers that are more interested in getting out into the woods than harvesting game is amazing. They seem to get pretty sentimental the older they get as they recall successful hunts of yesteryear and don’t show as much interest in harvesting anything. To me behaving and feeling like that means you hunt for the right reasons and you have a deep respect for your prey. Your not just a bloodthirsty moron wanting to kill for the sake of killing.