View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Very good news, but still not enough to control this herd.. No one seems to want to tackle the issues of costs ? I ask because I care and my concerns should be shared by all passionate people in our group..

Is millions of dollars a fair trade off for an opportunity hunt ? Can anyone answer as to where this mysterious money has come from ?

Another big concern will be the dynamics we are creating by removing mainly cows and only a small percentage of bulls.. This fiasco has been a game of catch up and really not a strong biological effort to follow proven management practices.

I loose so much faith in ESRD and the future of our heritage when I think of the elk at CFB.
1800 elk out of a herd of even 10000, that's 18% of the herd. That's a pretty good start as far as a population control goes.

On to your ideas about why they are only allowing cow tags. The only way to control a herd of animals is to remove the females. If there are less females to be bred, that directly translates into less calves being born. If it were bull tags being handed out, it would not affect the overall number, the rest of the bulls in the herd would just breed more cows.

The only thing I have a question about is what are you getting at in the terms of mystery money? What here is costing millions of dollars?