View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 06:41 AM

.243 compact makes sense for such a small shooter.

For the shotgun, I would look at a .410 if you are going to be shooting grouse on the ground. I have a .410 single shot that my son has been shooting since he was 5. My daughter has graduated to it now. If you are going to be wing shooting anything I would suggest a 20 ga gas operated semi in a compact model. Cheaper one would be a rem 1100, mid-grade Winchester X3, expensive browning silver. Don't go with the mossberg 510 mini 20 ga. In .410 they would be great. In 20 they kick like a mule and have created a recoil sensitive shooter in my son.

With the semi you can plug the entire magazine, you don't worry about small hands manipulating an exposed hammer, you have a visually reassuring safe with the chamber open, lower felt recoil with the gas semi, heavier gun to reduce felt recoil, the compact model makes handelng comfortable.

Also. Buy a recoil shoulder pad like the ones sold by P.A.S.T. It makes things more fun. Both my wife and son use one when shooting trap. My wife's fits on her bra under her shirt. My sons just goes over his shirt.

For all firearms purchases for youth or anyone who you are buying a gun for have them handle as many as they like and buy what they want. They are shooting it and excited about it not you. ( ok it's really exciting for us too) If they like what you buy they will be happy to shoot it.

I've been researching this topic and buying firearms for my boy for 3-4 years now to get him ready for his first hunting season. This is advice from my experience over that time. Do what is right for your girl. You and her know what that is.