Thread: Fire ban?
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
How about “because of extreme budgetary pressures” rather than Covid directly, even though it does have a definite trickle-down effect. I certainly clued into the fact that when the current economic and pandemic factors combined into a perfect storm where there is both massive unemployment and reduced gov’t revenue due to the unemployment combined with oil revenues being way down, that some cost-cutting measures would be tabled. All those vehicles you didn’t see in traffic for the last two months? That’s a lot of fuel tax not collected. The tens of thousands at home while their employers are shuttered, same thing. We always ask for lower taxes and fewer gov’t employees, but you can’t handle not having a fire? I’m gonna call you out on selfishness and obliviousness.

It’s going to be a longer road to economic recovery if people insist on going about their business as usual for what are really very minor inconveniences asked of them.

Think of WWII, there was food rationing (everything rationing for that matter) and scrap metal drives. Peoples dedication and community/national spirit absolutely helped forge our way to victory. Today we get “But, but, muh campfire!”
Sorry man, I'm just not going to accept an economics argument as to why Albertan's can't enjoy a camp fire this summer. Heck, if anything we have a lot of idle hands that could earn some money fighting a fire vs collecting it on unemployment anyway.

I see little comparison between the WWII war effort and Covid, but for arguments sake, let's say it is the same seriousness and magnitude. You figure they had a blanket fire ban in Alberta at that time too?