View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
thanks Sun for a ray of hope...i was getting that hopeless feeling.
Its like every time i say i want my own helicopter ....but i never find one in my price range on E-Bay and Santa never listens.

Sun how the heck do the Americans have such success with planting fish like Kokanee in all sorts of lakes....mountain, desert and prairie.

Mackinaws too.....they plant them everywhere.

Am i misguided that most fish need specific water to survive?

Travers is big and deep.............
Fisheries departments everywhere have at one point or another gone on a stocking tangent they regretted. The stocking of lakers in various lakes that have bull trout and other sensitive species have cost them lots of time and money. Yellowstone Lake for instance.

As a result...you will find the current generally accepted practice North American wide of not stocking non natives unless sterile.

While I am an advocate for options of all sorts including fish species...they do have to be careful. Still...splake and tiger trout would be a great start to try...put em in some of the ruined rainbow trout put and take lakes with perch. Theory goes that they predate very well on them.

I wonder if the water that they put kokanee in have a place for them to spawn or if it is yearly stocking. That would be very expensive. A lake like Travers would not work. The Oldman Res would work but it is hard to say the impact on the native bulls. Given their size and the fact there are browns and rainbows there already...I would suspect the bull would eat kokanee if they could catch them. As filter feeder however...there is maybe not enough food for them.

They would probably do okay in Cold Lake. They stocked Coho in Cold Lake years ago but they obviously did not work.