View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 11:02 PM

Just about any bullet will do the trick on smaller game. Smaller shoulders etc, do not demand a premium high penetrating bulllet. But bigger stuff can. If a person is prepared to wait for just the perfect shot after waiting 12 years for their moose draw then I guess it doesn't matter what you shoot. For people that realize in the real hunting world the perfect shot always doesn't present itself, they would probably take every advantage they could, which means a bullet that will hold up if it encounters heavy bone. Talk to a few African P.H.s and ask them if they trust their lives to a bullet that could come apart on a whim. Also, this business of knockdown power is highly overrated.
I knocked a moose over once with a bonded bullet. Knocked over. Not killed. He was getting up to take off when I finished him. The bullet was absolutely flattened and lodged between shoulder and rib cage, about as big around as a quarter and about as flat. A TSX would have made it through. I have taken many head of game with TSXs. Many of these dropped to the shot. Hmmmm I guess they do shed enery. As well as leaving a long wound channel.