View Single Post
Old 05-17-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Indexing Vanes to blades have been around since the invent of the three blades themselves...there are several reasons why you may want to...

#1 Makes sense to align blades to vanes to reduce air drag, not aligned is like a six feather flu flu we use to slow arrows down...in theory how much a factor is yet on paper and each shooter is different!

#2 Back in the day I used to index even the two blade heads...indexed with rooster feather/vane or off vane alignment would result in wind Plane-ing... aligned with top hen feather/vane I had same point of impact-POI as field points..

Wind plane-ing a big factor may be results of bow tune...arrow spine...FOC...etc and can change from year to year using exact same setup..

A border tuned bow will see these results more than a total tuned bow...for example I index my G% Striker heads to vanes and achieve same POI almost every year..will see wind plane-ing when not indexed with results anywhere from a couple inches to WHOLLY CRAP...
Telling me of course I had more work on bow...last year had a slight plane even when indexed...added 10 GR weights to back of inserts and volia same POI as field points...

This year I have been playing with spinning inserts which in theory will eliminate wind plane and seems to work for me and will be on my arrows this year...combined with the spin the inserts are about 15 -20 gr more than standard inserts adding good FOC to arrow for best POI...

Below is link pertaining spinning inserts

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=281349

Neil
I can't see it making a difference logically as an arrow flexes and spins rapidly it just doesn't make sense to me why it would and in my own test I never found it to make a difference.
There is absolutely no way that a broadhead will reduce drag for a fletch either.