View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
So I’m wondering if some of you have made mods / improvements to your sleds so you can pull or tow them without having to look back now and then to check if somethings dumped out, or everything’s dumped out like I do?
I was thinking of adding outriggers, as I have little faith the tow hitch does much. I have one of those bungy-mesh pickup bed ‘tarps’, that I’ve attempted to just hook on, with little success, yet lots of hassle.
I’m thinking of 2 outriggers made from aluminum (not cheap), or 2x2’s (cheap but not light), that either hinge or connect together, and either bolt or pin to the sled. Some kind of spring/shock action would be ideal, but I doubt I’ll go that far.
A pair of cheap skis would make great runners, yet wood should work fine. Either making a ‘base’ type frame / outrigger, that fits under the sled, or one that attaches to the top are options.
The under style should be much more reliable, yet likely more bulky. And at a point the plastic sled becomes almost pointless since a sheet of plywood replaces it.
This and / or cargo carriers for my quad that carry everything reliably is my desire. I like to dream up stuff, and love to build, if that wasn’t obvious. lol. Anything short of a helicopter, or ice fishing Cadillac is up for improvement.
I have a long and short sled, which I’ve considered making them attachable side by side, or getting another long one to do the same. That would likely make the base wide enough to not tip.
Anyways, just curious if anyone else has built a better mouse trap.
What does your sled look like? Got a pic or link of it

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip