View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrQuack View Post
100 yds will be fine. You would only need more for hard/long running bigger fish like bonefish/permit or silvers/chums/kings. Consider yourself fortunate if you find trout that will get you into half of your backing.
Lol...yes as I stated I wasn't concerned about being spooled. Only ever had that happen once in my life on the Black Sturgeon River out of Nipigon Ontario. Was tossing crankbaits for walleye when something nailed my wally diver and took off downstream for Lake Superior at full throttle! Spooled me of 180 yards of brand new 8lb mono in about 20 seconds. When the line got to the end it let go off the spool with a "crack" sound like a 22 round going off. Never did see what it was that I had on but I suspect a Salmon? And one other time when a Sea Lion got hold of a Chinook of about 20 pounds I had on and took off with everything!
I was asking about the fly reel primarily as I was curious if the smaller overall diameter from not spooling to full capacity would have any negative effect on the fly line? My only experience with a fly rod to date is an 8' Kunnan I acquired years ago in a 5wt and I have the reel spooled to it's maximum capacity. It amazes me how fly lines seem to suffer almost no spool memory after sitting for extended periods and how easily the little they do spool can be stretched out of them and with a little cleaning how well they work?!!

Last edited by The Spank; 08-23-2017 at 03:52 PM.