View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 12:07 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I look forward to a finished pic.
This interests me because of your buttermilk brine.
I have started saving my whey from cheese making with the intention to pump the whey from my next Bleu cheese into some chicken. Just been waiting for colder weather
Turned out great again! I smoke wings a little lower in temp than I normally smoke at just because of the obvious size factor and not wanting to dry them out giving them more time in the smoke, so these went for 2.5 hours at around 185°. Then I crisp them up a bit in the oven and sauce them and let it sit at 350° for another 10 minutes...

Unfortunately I only got a pic after the rub and just out of the oven with the sauce done. The friends went for ghem before I could take a nice plated, picture...

As for the buttermilk brine, I really enjoy the results! Nothing overpowering. Just subtle flavour and nice, juicy meat. It is pretty basic. A quart of buttermilk, 3 or 4 tbs of fresh chopped garlic (I prefer the Russian purple garlic, a small chopped up onion, couple tsp black pepper, 2 or 3 tbs of kosher salt, a tsp of cummin powder, and 2 or 3 tbs of a sugar source (I like honey but any sugar really will work). Wings I will toss in a ziplock bag with the brine for at least 4 or 5 hours but I like overnight better...

I don't wash off the wings after. Just shake the brine off and dust with my rub and let sit for a couple hours before smoking...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150829_122709_resized.jpg (85.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 20150829_175122_resized.jpg (47.8 KB, 99 views)