View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
The officers knew that randomly stopping any vehicle is against the law.
They are looking once pulled over to get there reasonable cause. Such as seeing blood, or asking and the person admitting that they are hunting.
The only reasonable cause they have is if they see a dead animal in the back of the truck, then they have reasonable cause to pull you over, if lets say, they got a report of poachers in the area.
There is not reasonable cause, just because there is a dead creature.
This is the point most people fail to realize, no enforcement officer can just pull you over for the fun of it. It has happened for so long people are just used to it.
Cops cant just randomly pull you over either, they must have reasonable suspicion of a crime or misdemeanor to pull you over.
So while I agree with the OP that the stop was illegal, and such all evidence collected is fruit of a poisoned tree.
Though I don't agree with getting away with anything, but that is our justice system, and if we did not have it, then nothing would stop the RCMP from randomly entering all our homes whenever they want just to check and see if something is a miss, and I would guess everyone on this forum would have a problem with the RCMP entering your home anytime they want to see if you are doing, or have been doing is illegal.
So the officer in this case did something wrong, and the OP got away with doing something Illegal(even though a mistake) still illegal and got away with it. Because the officer did not follow the law. He could have followed the man home, then watched him unload the game, then made his arrest.
So where does this leave the check stops, where the police and F&W pull over hundreds of vehicles with no probable cause? Come New Years eve, are we going to see no more check stops?