View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the info guys........there is no Home Depot in town so I can't just run out and get a quote. I've got messages out to a couple of local businesses but have not heard back from them.....life in a boom town!!!

My problem is 18 months ago we bought a 20 year old larger house in the nice area of town, spent $100k on reno's with the intention of living here long term. The day I took off at noon for the final inspection on my basement reno my Director says to me "you know we might be getting transferred to Calgary in a few months!!!" Needless to say my reno's pretty much came to a stop. So now I've got a house half upgraded, still needs new flooring and countertops, but due to size, area, etc is close to a $900k-$1M house (don't get excited, that's not a lot up here).

General consensus is houses in that price range need the granite, hardwood, etc. I know if the right person walks through my house, see's the space, layout, back yard, etc they will jump at it just like we did 2 years ago.....but the previous owners tried to sell for 2 years due to the majority of the buyers wanting the house completed with high end stuff. We've gone 80% of the way with the upgrades, and our agent (who we used to buy the place) was blown away with the changes we had made...but she looked at the vintage 90's lino in the kitchen and said "you've got new stainless appliances, painted walls, re-finished cabinetry with all new hardware, but all I see is the lino and grey-pink laminate counter-tops". Her suggestion is to do the counter-tops with a back splash to sell the wives and the floors won't matter.

Like I said, not really concerned about long term durability, looking for good cost and best sell-ability. I might look into the high end laminate as an alternative.