View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Well first of all,I'm not talking about chucking heavy streamers that are overloading a rod,I'm talking about gaining distance by underlining an 8wt with 6 or 7 line,thus carrying more line outside of the tip when false casting before shooting for the backing.
Secondly,for the most part I'm referring to Atlantic salmon fishing where A)extra distance is often an advantage on the larger rivers.
B)I'm using an appropriately matched rod,....and C)I'm never chucking heavy streamers,weighted flies are in fact illegal for Atlantic salmon.For the most part I'm talking about casting un-weighted hairwing wets,bugs,and dries in the sz 2-8 range.Underlining my 8wt with 6-7 line makes it easier to pick up and false cast 50-60' of line when you're trying to shoot for a lie 80-100' away and longer casts simply swing thru more water and cover a pool more thoroughly.

Now that said,I've seen some excellent casters that can fire an entire 100' 8wt line to the backing while casting with either hand.Personally speaking,I'm doing well to reach 100' with my dominant right arm,including my 12' leader on a good day with a light downstream breeze and cheating down to a 7wt line,but then I've only been trying stretch it to the backing for 25years,I probly just need a lil more practice?
I grew up on an Atlantic Salmon river and spent many hours just watching in awe as casters from all over the world did things with fly rods that have to be seen to believe.

I also was able to spend time with many of these folks as they were eager to offer tips to a young fellow.

Underlining a rod was not one on the tips given but perhaps it was a secret trick of the trade that was not shared. I have lines of different tapers from 4wt to 8wt so on the next breezy day i will test this theory in spite of the laws of physics as I understand them.

The same theories often come up on the shooting forms as to weight of bullet, length of bullet, speed, calibre blah, blah, blah and it's effects on accuracy when shooting at distance. There is a line that is crossed where lightweight and speed become a hindrance to control and accuracy, especially under windy conditions. If somehow these laws do not apply to fly rods and lines I will be the first to admit it after testing the theory further.