View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 12:08 PM

Thumbs up Bones

Take an 8wt with you as you will likely have a chance at larger Bones particularly if they take you over to the west side. Put your RLS on your wifes 8wt and see how it balances.....an 8wt is a good all-round choice for Bones as it can get windy for days at a time down there. I have used as light as a 6wt for bones but that was in Belize and Ascension where they run a lot smaller and there was no wind(I did have heavier rods with if needed for conditions) I would also take your 9wt as there are Tarpon around on the west side and Cudas are a blast. For lines get either a Rio Bonefish quickshooter or Directcore bonefish or a SA Amplitude bonefish and you should be good to go. What ever you decide to do you should have at least 2 set-ups available to use when you are in the boat as you will not have time to change up if you see a tarpon or permit. You can carry a wire trace for cudas that you can snap on to your bonefish fly if you are wading. Have fun and beware its very addictive. I would secure a second reel if possible 7/8 which you can always use at home for pike or bulls. Make sure you rinse your reels each day in fresh water and give them and your rods a thorough cleaning when you get home. The nice thing is the lodges in the Bahamas are better equipped gear wise than most elsewhere ie Cuba etc... so they will have anything you forget. Most of all have fun I head a little south of you at the same time for 2 weeks. Cheers