View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtodd94 View Post
Hey guys, does anyone on here have experience using braided line with a fluoro leader for trout fishing in a river? Personally I love braid and I am used to casting through heavy cover for Pike, currently I've got 50# braid spooled onto my baitcaster. I'd like to hear some thoughts on a 30" or so fluoro leader to prevent spooking the more timid trout in clear water.

Thanks,
Dylan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've fished stream trout using a 6'6 medium spinning rod, 10 lb braid, and a 6 lb mono leader on plenty of occasions. It works alright but I'm happier using just 6lb mono on the same rig, or 4lb mono on a lighter rod.

I don't think that the setup you've described will serve you very well for river trout fishing. I've pressed heavyer tackle into service trolling or fishing bait for pothole rainbows, but I cant think of too many scenarios where it would work in a river.

IMO if your going to go out and buy a new trout rig you may as well just get a fly rod rather than a ultralight spinning rod however.