View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 10:06 AM

Default Charged by grizzly

Just a heads up for those fishing the Clearwater river north of the Clearwater store (trading post). On Monday was walking back to my truck after an amazing day of rainey day fishing with my 9 year old son. From behind me he says dad did you hear that stick break and starts to scream. Spinning around I seen a grizzly charge from the brush. When they say everything goes into slow motion I can say folks , everything slows down to a stand still and your legs and arms suddenly become completely useless. I put my boy behind me and started to scream and waved my arms while whipping my ugly stick like an english broad sword. This later on was a topic of much mirth . She stopped her charge at 20 yards and from behind her 3 cubs stood up and bawled. She spun around and retreated after the cubs which would indicate she was a good mother and just as scared as we were. We stood our ground, lots of yelling and waving and appears to have worked but Im thinking first timers luck perhaps thank God. I was not packing my usual 12ga friend or spray this time as I was fresh from work up north and very excited to be home and in a hurry to hit the river without my usual gear. This was a decision I will regret forever as my son was put in imminent danger due to my poor judgement. Spent Tuesday with the Rocky fish and wildlife at the scene. Appears she has an extensive history there which is interesting as I fish and hunt the river alot and outside of cougar tracks never ever have seen bear tracks or scat as in the soft mud that would be seen sooner or later. So for those that want some wicked fishing which requires alot of walking please come on out but pack your spray or whatever else you choose and stay alert .. for what its worth the spotted black and pink and white Panther Martins are getting slammed hard this year..