View Single Post
Old 10-09-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Agreed. I shot 7 rem mags for years because to me they kicked less than an 06 and about the same as a 270. I REALLY like the 7 rem mag, but it doesn't change the fact that under 300 yards the difference in performance is totally irrelevant. The reason I shot the 7 rem then the 7 ultra was because I was shooting stuff at 700 to 1200 yards. That is where u see the difference in bc and the performance that goes with it. That said u will not change my mind that at 300 and under the 308 is every bit as capable. I have been a big boomer fan my whole life, including loving the 375 and the 460 Bee, but I still fully understand how little the relative performance differences matter at normal hunting ranges for most hunters and the easier to shoot guns are a far better idea for 90 percent of hunters. Very few people shoot enough to be better off with a magnum.
I agree 98%. I just prefer the 7mm cartridge and the extra oomph it offers at all yardages. I'm not concerned about the minor differences in recoil, powder usage, belt decoration, etc. Realistically speaking it might not kill thin skinned game any more effectively at the yardage being discussed but I feel more confident shooting mine so there I go.

No different than why I switch over to a .358 cartridge when hunting in grizz country. Might not be the perfect solution and I realize my 7's are capable, BUT, if I'm unlucky enough to be in a one shot max situation at inside 50 yds and it's chew or be chewed I want to at least provide a bigger headache for my dance partner. There's no questioning a 225-250 grain bullet at 25-2600 fps will do that.

Kinda like why Africa hunters use 375 Ouch and Ouches and bigger to shoot a spotted kitty out of a tree at 25 yards when a 30-06 would likely get the job done.