View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
Our group had thought of grinding goose meat for this same reason. We spoke to fish and wildlife about it and they said no go! In fact if you remove the wing from the carcass before getting it home you can be charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually cooking it, making Jerky, sausage or canning would seem to me to be a very different thing. Once the meat is processed into a finished product it can be transported without violating the evidence of sex and species rules. I know we take game in to a processor in GP, then haul the processed meat home to Edmonton, Winnipeg and 100 Miles House. We are NOT violating the rule that says we have to leave evidence of sex and species on the animal during transport. If F&W were to charge us I am more than confident they would lose that argument in court, in fact I doubt any prosecutor would pursue it.

The rules do not say "Permanent Residence" for preservation, it says residence. Legal definition of residence is actually quite broad. I am not offering a direction to others or a legal opinion, but if I had preserved meat at my hotel or cabin and was then transporting said preserved meat to another residence I would be more than willing to argue any charge relating to that in Court. Be aware however that you cannot transport processed Migratory game into the States; to cross the border it must have a wing attached. That rule is separate to what is being discussed here.

I have seen more than one opinion from enforcement officers that was not accurate but they are still a better source than opinions on forums.

Quote:
11 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall possess or transport a migratory bird unless at least one fully feathered wing is attached to the bird.

(2) The wing and the plumage thereon may be removed from a migratory bird

(a) when the bird is prepared for immediate cooking; or

(b) after the bird is taken to the residence of its owner for preservation.