View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntAB View Post
I have yet to hear anyones reason for wanting a crossbow classed as a bow?
and i'm sure you mean classed as a bow in the context of hunting here in Alberta, so my answers will reflect of course

1. for the option to another 'like' tool to be used in 'like' seasons...as a matter of commonsense

2. it is one size/strength fits all bow, the advantages of this alone for all wildlife certificate holders is huge imo

3. introduction tool, to have something that can be used more ethically quickly by a larger number of wildlife certificate holders is a huge plus for our hunting sports, we all know how most vertical bowhunters first season generally goes....buy lots of arrows right, and we won't go there on the poor shot placements that often and almost usually go with those first couple seasons, the ethical standpoint alone one could use as a strong point by itself but thats not one of my own personal reasons...and thats all i'm giving(my personal reasons)

4. economy, as used as an introduction tool (if say...a guy is the type to always promote and introduce as many people to hunting as possible), being one size/strength fits all means one doesn't have to purchase and have on hand a bunch of different bows in different draw lengths and different poundage ranges with different draw lengths again and the tons of different arrows etc. to go along with, so one could always have something on hand to take someone new bowhunting and it wouldn't matter what size or shape they were or draw length and you wouldn't risk going through everything required to set up a vertical bow only to have them not interested in the sport once they've had a go at it

further to the above...kind of like i always have spare guns to take people gopher, coyote and sometimes big game hunting but i'm much more passionate about bowhunting and would rather a more convenient way to introduce people into those areas and seasons where i play the most

further notes: i already know what a boatload of the rebuttles will be, same old stuff so will try to snuff a bunch of it out with the following to save yall some typing...

first, a couple quotes i grabbed from a quick couple googles

"Fact: The only advantage a crossbow has over a conventional bow is that it holds the bow in the drawn, or ready to fire, position for the shooter. While shooting a crossbow is generally easier to master than shooting a vertical bow, it cannot be argued that it is just plain easy. The crossbow hunter must have the same woodsmanship ability and nearly all of the same shooting skills as the vertical bowhunter."

and when you research the differences between crossbows vs compounds you find this same conclusion over and over and over...it is a fact that in the hands of hunters the kill ratios are basically identical to the compound....which proves the point its 99% hunter and 1% tool...much like the last sentence of above quote says...

"Fact: Any experienced crossbow hunter will tell you that there are many ways to make a bad shot with a crossbow. First, if a crossbow is not cocked perfectly straight, it will not shoot straight. If the bowstring is pulled even 1/16th of an inch to the right or left of center, that difference can translate into a six-inch error at 20-yards. Additionally, like any conventional bow shooter, a crossbow shooter must maintain a proper stance, control breathing, squeeze rather than “jerk” the trigger, steady the entire body, and follow through (watch the entire arrow flight through the sighting mechanism) after the release. And finally, the crossbow hunter must also be a good judge of distance"

Any of that sound familiar boys? Sounds just about the same amount of effort and tuning/setup ability as doing it with compound....its not the walk in the park yall make it out to be....yall make it sound like the thing will run the animal down and kill it in its tracks when you pull that trigger. Not so.

"For me the most troubling aspect in the whole crossbow issue is seeing how much energy hunters exert squabbling about the pros and cons of crossbows. Meanwhile, these same hunters blissfully ignore the real issues that threaten our hunting heritage. Wouldn’t it be wiser for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life instead of with our own?"

i think this guy has a pretty good 'big picture' of this......eh?

and there is so much more to show how much more versatile a compound is than a crossbow, they are cumbersome, the pain in arse and slow to load making them basically a single shot, they are louder as a rule which means your even less likely to get a second shot despite how long it would take you to arrow one of them up.....no thanks, for me it makes a great introduction tool but i sure don't plan on hunting with it myself...i love my compound, another reason i really like it is for the weaker (read young, old, small stature...whatever) can shoot similar power/ke to us big strong boys hell bent on keeping it a mostly 'big strong boy club'

another point....if yall are shooting compounds now...how is it you have any legs to stand on in this fight period? don't think the same fuss was made when training wheels came into the world and wanted to be classified into the same category as longbows and recurves? this is exactly the same thing only the difference in performance from compound bows to the traditional gear is absolutely massive....the difference between the compound vs crossbow is basically SFA (sweet f___ all, in case you hadn't heard that one before), so it REALLY baffles me on this point alone....

your shooting basically indentical equipment (triggers/power/accuracy) etc. and the facts all over the continent prove that and yet you fight it simply to keep the club smaller...there is only one answer as to why that is....its selfishness....and its okay to be selfish about what your passionate....doesn't make it right, better or good for the rest of the wildlife certificate holders imo

anyone else have any reasons that might be different than mine to want the crossbow in where it should be?