View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgoulding View Post
I am really wanting to get in to pheasant hunting this upcoming hunting season. It's something I have never done befor. I have been hunting grouse and waterfowl for many many years. I have some questions regarding pheasant hunting and I hope you guys can help with them, so here they are:
1. Can I pheasant hunt without a dog? And have success?
2. I have been reading about the pheasant release sites, will I have the best luck at one? Or are these sites over hunted and like war zone?
3. I have every gauge from 10 to 410. What will work the best? And what size and kind of shot will work the best?
And any other info and helpful points you guys can think of will be great. Thanks
You can hunt Without a dog, but get ready for lots of miles and limited success. The release sites are your best bet by far I would say, if you are lucky there will have been a release the day you are there. If not they are pretty deep in the cover, you can walk right past them and they don’t flush. They seem to run as their first reaction. Much better and funwith a dog at this point or you walk by most never realizing they were there. I use a 12 gauge #6 shot 2 3/4”. I have thought about getting a 20 gauge, Maybe next year. This is my first year hunting with my Brittany, And I am enjoying far more with him.