View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
There are no "legal" reasons to do so for the private individual.
I appreciate your response but I think you’re missing the larger picture. A lot of the marketing we see promoting home VPN use comes from the US where there are two reasons I might consider using one.

The most obvious is Net Neutrality, if my ISP can’t inspect my traffic then they can’t prioritize it based on their preferred backhaul arrangements.

Secondary to most people but arguably a larger privacy concern is the FTC’s recent rulings that allow ISPs to collect and market usage data the same way service providers like Google do.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cons...l-information/

Neither of these concerns are valid in Canada, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
If you want to connect safely to your home network from outside then all you need to do is google about using the program Putty to create a secure connection to your home LAN. It's pretty simple and it's effective. You'll want to research creating a secure ssh tunnel. Done correctly, you connect with Putty to your home LAN, establish the tunnel, then RDP into your Windows box at home using the Windows based computer you've used to create the secure tunnel.
I would suggest you would qualify this advice some. In a lot of corporate environments this is a violation of the Acceptable Use Policy and with good reason.

Also as a long time Unix sysadmin, putty sucks.