View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
First: DFO incompetence, corruption & mismanagement created the problem. There is zero question of that.

Second: The BS regarding the "starving" / "threatened" orcas is just that - BS. They are fluctuating within the ranges of their recognized population numbers since we started recording them in the '40's. It is a convenient excuse.

Third: Although the diminutive troll fleet has had it's share of the pie drastically reduced over time (last year appx 10% of the sports catch) and the recreational sector has taken many hits regarding slot limits and area closures, the FN's have been granted ever increasing openings on these same stocks. To the point that last season, they were afforded more openings on threatened or endangered classified runs than ever historically.

Fourth: DFO just announced a new component of their ministry titled "Reconciliation and Partnerships (R&P) Branch" complete with an RDG and support staff. You can likely guess where that is headed, but if in doubt, pm me & I will send you the background letter from DFO.

Fifth: ZERO consideration to the vast economic impacts coastwide of these measures. Guides. Lodges, in fact entire Communities are being paced at risk by these ill advised actions.

How much more should I go into the description of "draconian" do you require to get it?

The actions that are required are not Rocket Science. Habitat has to be improved on a huge scale. Predation by seals & sea lions HAS to be addressed (currently taking ~ 45 % of the annual production of Chinook annually), and stock enhancement has to be ramped up demonstrably.

Instead, DFO has slashed habitat programs, turned a complete blind eye to predation issues and continue on with blanket protection of the worst offenders, and slashed hatchery budgets to the bone.

Of course all of those efforts require funding & dedication. Something both DFO, and their political masters have little intestinal fortitude in addressing. FAR easier to shut down the fisheries (for some) and say "Hey Look, We're are doing something" - when in fact they are not.

Sadly,
Nog
WOW!!
Disturbingly all to familiar.😢
Looks like almost an exact carbon copy clone of DFO’s mismanagement of Atlantic Salmon on the east coast over the last 3-4 decades,to the point now that what few watersheds have any remaining salmon are now either completely closed to angling or if angling is allowed it’s zero retention......unless of course you are born with a certain privelaged pedigree,then you can string a gillnet across the Miramichi and illegally sell salmon off the back of your truck with impunity at the Blackville liquor store.
Ceremonial purposes redefined.....convert endangered salmon into beer money Friday afternoon and party all weekend.🖕