View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 11:35 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
I’ve found that vinegar works great on green bellies. We used it on pork chops when the fluorescent lights would turn the meat a light green. It stops the souring of the hide and does not leave any visible changes to the hide. All it takes is a light misting from a spray bottle.
That sounds really, really nice mike! However, give Matthew at international a call and ask him if that's a good idea or a bad idea... or even a really, really bad idea to do. I suspect a full strength vinegar is going to be too violent for a hide, wonderful looking in the raw but a tannery nightmare once the skin is being dressed... don't know for certain but strongly suspect!!!

PH levels and raw skins, DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING!!! It always looks wonderful when raw, but buyer beware of the 10,000 nasty things trappers do!

Yes... we do 10,000 different nasty things to the skins we sell!

Best case scenario, cake a questionable skin in salt, borax or sawdust to do your part to not screw anything up in the dressing process! Unless... UNLESS you have got the green light from a guy like Matthew or his equivalent. (Meaning non-trapper, non-ignorant person such as myself! And also yourself!!!)

When we wreck things in the dressing, how many trappers are aware of the damage???

Answer virtually zero, yet damage continues!