View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 07:55 PM

I have not shot an elk with my recurve yet but 45Lb should do it if you have a well tune arrow and a shaving sharp broadhead. Using a heavy arrow that is very well tune is key. My suggestion to you would be to pick up a used low poundage bow (maybe 35lb) to keep price down and work on perfecting your form. No point to overbow yourself, you will need to shoot a lot of arrows if you want to be really good at it.Then when you figure out what style you like and what poundage you can comfortably handle buy yourself a good bow that suit your need. There is no wrong answer from the most primitive self bow and wood arrows to a high tech ILF riser with carbon arrows, just pick the one that suit your taste and style the most.

40 yard is a long poke for a trad bow, The idea of going to trad is generally to get up close and personal. The cast of an arrow become pretty big past 30yard with a heavy hunting arrow.

There is a lot of good info on trad bow shooting and some not so good one available online and you tube. Here's a few recommendations depending on your shooting style

Instinctive shooting, look up Jeff Kavanagh (Canadian) and Clay Hayes you tube Chanal.

Aiming Methods, Search "The Push a traditional archery Film and the Push Podcast.