View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Good on ya for looking for advice. Also, keep up the positive attitude. First of all, if you found a pod of rising fish in March, it is basically like winning the fly fishing lottery. But it is almost guaranteed to be highly technical fishing. A couple of things to add here:

Be quiet! I know this has been mentioned, but it is worth mentioning again. Avoid stepping in the water and approach as quietly as you can from behind.

Pay close attention to the rise form. A couple of times at this time of year, I have seen a pod of rising fish 'smashing' stuff on the surface, but it turns out to be a school of whitefish flailing. More importantly though, if a fish is eating on the surface, or very very close to it, there will be a *bloop* and bubbles on the surface (the bubbles are caused when the fish consumes air, and leaves through the gills on the way back down). If you have really won the fly fishing lottery, you are looking for the most subtle rise. This will often be the biggest fish. No bloops, bubbles, or backs? The are eating in the upper and mid column. https://activeanglingnz.com/2015/09/...-a-lost-skill/

If you are pretty sure they are not eating off the top, then the fun begins. A classic wet fly presentation can be killer. Because the fish are actively eating, they may be willing to take a streamer---a leech or a wooly bugger.

Good luck.
There were definitely bloops and backs, I was having big browns come out of the surface so close to me that i could see their spots. It was an awesome experience just seeing it even without catching any