View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
I still dont get the whole "you might shoot s whooping crane" bit that's like saying you might shoot a moose while elk hunting. I have seen whooping cranes while hunting Sandhills in sask and I can tell you that there is no way you will mistake the two. There must be some other politics at play but I'm not sure what they would be.
Yes you're right about that. Public opinion against the proposed hunt a few years ago was much greater than public support for the hunt.

Sandhills do nest sporadically in northern Alberta,,, as there has been very little study on this population, antis were able to exploit the idea that a crane season might negatively impact the population of Alberta nesting cranes.

Despite the fact thousands of cranes pass through Alberta. they do not stage in significant numbers for any length of time in Alberta during the fall like they do in Sask. Targeting cranes in Alberta would be difficult. Any cranes that would be killed would be as the occasional opportunity arises, The suspected provincial harvest if there was a season would only be few hundred cranes annually.

Last edited by Pikebreath; 09-15-2017 at 12:49 AM.