Thread: Shooting range?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
That means as long as it is safe, we can fire away off the deck? If that is correct that's great, no more clubs, fees and all that.

This sounds too good to be true.
We had a lengthy discussion about this a while ago. If you search for it and can't find it, let me know and I'll search for it. In the end, I believe more people agreed than disagreed.

The gist of it is that your back deck is part of your "dwelling house"; hence taking your pistola onto the back deck would not be any different than taking it into your kitchen. Do some research and decide for yourself. If I had a pistol and a back deck I could shoot off safely, I'd be doing it; the rest is your decision.

This came up for me when I had coyote problems. I thought I might buy a .357 and get some subsonic .38 loads to keep the racket down. I called the RCMP Center for Firearms Tyrannts and was told "no". I asked for the legislation that said "no"; since I could not find it. On hold. She comes back and says she can't find it. I ask to speak to a supervisor. On hold. I'm told yes, you are right - there is no such ban as long as I'm shooting safely but I should check with the CFO in Alberta. Why, I don't know. I guess because everyone thinks they are a valid dictator on all things gun. Anyway, I do. She agrees with me BUT I can't shoot the coyotes because they are "wildlife" and hunting with a pistol is illegal in AB. After all that, I end up stumped by Alberta law!

IMO, people often complain - rightly - about the goofy, bothersome, unnecessary and sometimes unconstitutional restrictions we already have on guns and yet won't exercise the few freedoms we do have.

Last edited by Rocky7; 05-14-2012 at 09:34 AM.