View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
I had a couple sets of,the same cheap 6 screw tactical style rings, I lapped another set and by the wear marks from lapping they really didn't need it, being a softer metal it's not really needed for the most part as they will contort to the scope instead of vice versa, I just want to check for straightness and clean any high spots.

The other thing I'm doing is replacing the cross bolt with a larger one, and squaring the sides so it fits tight between the picatinny lugs. I dislike the common use of weaver width bolts on a pic rail giving it wiggle room for movement during recoil.

Not bothering with epoxy bedding the rail, this is my third EGW rail and they've all been perfect. I did however tap,a fourth hole for the 788 action. They use 3 screws (8t-32) instead of 700 style (4 x 6-32). I might be off on the thread pitch, can't remember exactly off hand.
With respect, I would not trust 'rings to contort', without placing excessive stress on the scope tube.
Elimination of stress is our objective, as it is a proven way to improve consistency and precision.

I have installed many EGW and other 6061 & 7075 P-rails on several different brands of action. Testing confirmed that, they all required epoxy bedding to prevent distortion and stress caused by receiver and hole misalignment. I suspect that the action misalignment is a product of heat treating after machining. A common test is to alternatively secure each end and check for a gap under the other end and for proper hole alignment. Hole misalignment can also cause the rail to torque (and misalign rings) which can be checked with a surface plate, or accurate levels, or sighting across two 6" pieces of key-stock, on the F&R top of the P-rail.

Steel P-rails require more determination to distort, but also benefit from epoxy bedding.

Epoxy bedding is not difficult, and I suspect well within your skill-set.
In addition to preventing scope tube distortion or damage, it facilitates scope switching and exchange.
IMHO, it is much more important than cross bolt fit in the P-rail, (even NF rings are not tight in the slots).

The most common mount screw sizes are 6x48 & 8x40, tighten only after the epoxy bedding has cured, and use proper release agent on the receiver.

Good Luck, YMMV.