Thread: New fly rod
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 11:03 AM

Might as well huck all them there Cooper and Sako rifles as well, I've only met a hand full of people in my life that can out shoot a Savage Axis. Italian shotguns, who needs em, Mossy 500 combo with a handful of shells will kill most anything that flys.

Ignorance is bliss, TFO is a stretch to entry level at best. Chinese blanks with cheap components; second rate compared to Redington, Cabelas and Fenwick offerings and at a higher price.

The ability to buy a rod piece for full retail value is convenient but hardly an example of a stellar warranty.

Nice fly rods take years to master and even if one doesn't reach a level where the full potential of a rod is realized, at least one knows it is their short comings and not inferior equipment that is limiting their results.

To the OP, I would try as many fly rods as you can lay your hands on and buy what truly speaks to you. A $400 budget will get you into a very nice used or closeout fly rod. You can hold back on a top end reel as long as you get something that balances your rig nicely. I have several top end rods by Sage, Loop and Hardy and paid less for each than your budget. They weren't considered the latest and greatest at the time but by doing research the rods I have are still much more popular than their "new and improved" replacements. A couple example are the Sage Z-Axis and Hardy Zenith. In the 4, 5 or 6 weights these things are as good as they get for all around trout fishing.